Gone But Not Forgotten



Hello, you've landed on DATA eh? - Open Data Toronto's original blog space for data discussions. This is not an active blog at the moment but legacy posts are still here. Have a read ... you can still provide comments.



Thursday, September 20, 2012

Appetite for apps

By Keith McDonald

Timing is everything ... correct?

For me it is anyway. I finally broke down and bought an iPod Touch just two days before the announcement from Apple that they would be releasing a new version.

I have to confess I'd been holding off buying any mobile device for some time. Won't go into the reasons why but I find it so totally "the story of my life" where the timing of a new release would be so close to my purchase.

Perhaps, on my registration of the unit, Apple saw it, and that's what kicked in their announcement! Maybe I was the bazillionth user and they had to reach this magic number before they could move ahead to the "next generation"? That isn't likely, I know, but I need a rationalization.


streetcar with advert on the outside saying: ''there's an app for this'' beside a picture  of the words data eh? shaved into a person's head


Long Way To Get To My Point


I know, I know, I can always take the unit back and wait for the new version if I want to, but I'm going to hang on to it anyway!

My main reason for keeping it is that it does exactly what I need it to do right now. In particular, I am enjoying the apps I wanted to use for sometime but hadn't leveraged yet. The fact I can do this without having to pay monthly fees is great (iTouch vs. iPhone ... same apps - no ongoing cost ..just use the WiFi and I'm good to go).


All that being said, this was a long way of saying the following: I think anyone who still doesn't see what all the fuss is around data and having open data available - so you can have apps, should really spend 5-10 minutes just checking a few of these babies out.

You can do this in a store before you buy, if you still have any doubts. You'll find everything from waking you up in the morning to putting you to bed at night. A lot is available for free.

I may sound like a kid in a candy store now that I'm "apped". I guess I am.

Whether you come late to the party or have been hanging out app dancing for months, there's always room for one more.

DATA eh? #29

No comments: