Gone But Not Forgotten



Hello, you've landed on DATA eh? - Open Data Toronto's original blog space for data discussions. This is not an active blog at the moment but legacy posts are still here. Have a read ... you can still provide comments.



Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Strikethrough the re:Brand

NOTE: This is content from the web re:Brand posts going back to November 2010. We have kept the re:Brand posts as a legacy archive but, on a go forward basis as of October, 2011, the new DATA eh? content takes over this space.

I'm seeing more and more blog authors using the strike through when they make errors mistakes and changes on their blog.  I'm thinking assuming it's to show transparency - you know, "I'm not hiding anything from you".*

But I actually hate it loathe it detest it object to it think it's pretty stupid.  It makes a post much harder to read and, if I used strike through for every error or change of mind I had, well it would be simply impossible horrific to read!

Maybe that makes me old school out of touch a contrarian but I really prefer a readable display - I'm not a fan of track changes in a document either. It's just too hard to follow.

But how far should we take this "openness" in an Open Government? Do we transfer the logic to our static web?  How about our print pieces?  Advertising on the Garbage trucks?  Tax Bills?



*Here's the real explanation around why you would use strikethrough - to alert to any changes after a post already has comments attached to it.

NOTE: Though the rules for social media may be a bit different, for corrections, I'd offer the suggestion of simply adding a new paragraph to the top of your post stating the error(s) and that you've made changes/corrections - more tasteful if you have lots of changes.  But I'd hope the need for changes would be limited.  Too many changes would reflect on your credibility as a writer ... no? yes!


Bookmark and Share
#29/2010

No comments: